Here are 15 books that you can use with children from ages 4-15 to talk about issues with racism, educate about African American culture and achievements, and additionally to understand the past history of slavery and American history.
We are in a time where we need to be educated about racism and race. We need to make sure that when we speak , we speak with knowledge.
It is never too early to expose children to these topics because as they grow older they will be responsible for having their own ideas about race and how they identify themselves in society.
2.Hidden Figures: The True Story of Four Black Women and the Space Race by Margot Lee Shetterly
3.The Season of Styx Malone by Kekla Magoon
4.Freedom Over Me: Eleven Slaved Their Lives and Dreams to Life by Ashley Bryan
5.Freedom in Congo Square by Carole Boston Weatherford
6.Last Stop On Market Street by Matt de la Peña
7.The Book Itch: Freedom, Truth, and Harlem’s Greatest Bookstore by Vaunda Micheaux Nelson
8. Voice of Freedom: Fannie Lou Hamer: The Spirit of The Civil Rights Movement.
10. My People by Langston Hughes and Jr. Charles R. Smith
11.I Have a Dream by Martin Luther King
12. What Were the Negro Leagues? by Who Hq, Stephen Marchesi, et al
13. Heart and Soul: The Story of America and African Americans
14. March: Book One by John Lewis – Graphic Novels
15. The Stars and Blackness Between Them
Which book from this list do you want to use or have you read before?