As a fellow curly girl, I understand the importance of feeling that who you are is valued and seen. You want to feel beautiful even in your most effortless moments.
Now more than ever, it is important to show children the importance of loving themselves and what makes them unique. Your hair is one of those things that is so sensitive to so many people.
Especially people who rock their hair in their natural form, who may feel pressure to want to change their hair because of what they see glorified in society. This is why it’s important to encourage this love through reading and by seeing it in their homes and schools, and libraries.
Below are a list of books that encourage embracing your natural curly hair.
- My Curly Hair by Courtenee and Hayward Riley
- My Big Natural Hair by C.J Baker
- I Don’t Want Curly Hair by Laura Ellen Anderson(available in Spanish)
- Hair Like Mine by Latashia M. Perry
6. The Girl Who Wouldn’t Brush Her Hair by Kate Bernheimer and Jake Parker
I hope these beautiful stories help you have those important conversations that will only make your child stronger from within.